|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Tripterygion trigloides Bleeker 1858: 234 (Type locality: Biliton Occidentalis, Indonesia).
- Helcogramma trigloides: Fricke 1997: 489 (Neotype locality: Port Narevin, Erromango Island, Vanuatu).
- Helcogramma trigloides: Hansen 1986: 351.
Material Examined for Description
USNM 343890, Neotype, 33.3 mm SL, Port Narevin, Erromange Island, Vanuatu, 0-6 m depth, J. T. Williams et al., 28 May 1996.
D III, XIII, 9. A I, 18. Lateral line with 24 pored scales. Dentary pore pattern 3+3+3. Supraorbital cirrus small and semi-rounded. Nasal cirrus slender. First dorsal fin lower in height than second. Based on colour photo from Efate Island, Vanuatu by Jeffrey T. Williams. Body blackish green with indistinct black bars. Males with black mask on lower half of head below eye and a bluish white line extending from corner of mouth onto preopercle. Pectoral-fin base with yellow splotch and bluish white marks; a red blotch on lower base of pectoral fin and bases of ventralmost few rays. All fins dusky to black.
Although there are no specimens of this species in Taiwanese museums or other institutions, it has been recorded from the eastern shore of Taiwan (Fricke, 1997) and from Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Palau New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu (Hansen 1986; Fricke 1997).
- Chiang, M; Chen, I; 2012: A new species of the genus Helcogramma (Blenniiformes, Tripterygiidae) from Taiwan ZooKeys, 216: 57-72. doi
- Bleeker P (1858) Vierde bijdrage tot de kennis der vischfauna van Biliton. Natuurkundig Tijdschrift voor Nederlandsch-Indie, Batavia-Welte-vreden 15: 219-240.
- Fricke R (1997) Tripterygiid fishes of the western and central Pacific, with descriptions of 15 new species, including an annotated checklist of world Tripterygiidae (Teleostei). Theses Zoologicae 29: 1-607.
- Hansen P (1986) Revision of the tripterygiid fish genus Helcogramma, including descriptions of four new species. Bulletin of Marine Sciences 38: 313-354.