|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Helcogramma striata Hansen 1986: 349 (Type locality: Toga Point rocks, Miyakejima, Izu Islands, Japan).
- Helcogramma striata:Shen and Wu 1994: 22.
- Helcogramma striatum:Fricke 1997: 480.
- Helcogramma striata:Holleman 2007: 77.
Material Examined for Description
USNM 221667, holotype, 41.0 mm SL, Toga Point Rocks, Miyakejima, Izu Island, Japan, 34°07'N, 139°30'E, 1-3 m depth, P. E. Hadley and L. Cuyvers, 10 July 1977; NTOU-P 2009-06-044, 1 specimen, 20.5 mm SL, Wan-li-tong, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 6-9 m depth, M. C. Chiang et al., 14 Sep 2006; NTOU-P 2009-06-045, 1 specimen, 22.1 mm SL, Ho-bi-hu, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 12 m depth, M. C. Chiang and J. H. Huang, 2 June 2008; NTOU-P 2009-06-046, 1 specimen, 26.2 mm SL, Shan-hai, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 6-10 m depth, M. C. Chiang and J. H. Huang, 16 July 2008; NTOU-P 2009-06-047, 3 specimens, 25.5-26.4 mm SL, Xian-jiao-wan, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 9 m depth, M. C. Chiang and W. H. Li, 8 Sep 2008; NTOU-P 2009-06-048, 1 specimen, 27.4 mm SL, Chuan-fan-shi, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 9 m depth, M. C. Chiang and W. H. Li, 8 Sep 2008; NTOU-P 2009-06-049, 1 specimen, 21.6 mm SL, Hong-chai-keng, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 6-8 m depth, M. C. Chiang et al., 9 Sep 2008; NTOUP 201202-007, 1 male, 28.2 mm SL, Hong-chai-keng, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 9 m depth, M. C. Chiang et al., 5 Sep 2009; NTOUP 201202-008, 1 specimen, 28.5 mm SL, Nan-wan, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 10-12 m depth, M. C. Chiang et al., 27 May 2010.
D III, XIV-XV (modally XIV), 10-11 (modally 11). A I, 20-21 (modally 21). Lateral line with 18-20 (modally 18) pored scales. Dentary pore pattern 3+2+3. Supraorbital cirrus absent. Nasal cirrus simple and slender. First dorsal fin about half height of second dorsal fin. Vertebrae 10+27-28. Males and females with similar colour pattern. A characteristic colour pattern of three bluish white stripes along side of body: dorsalmost stripe originating over top of eye, extending backward along bases of dorsal fins; middle stripe originating on snout, extending through eye and terminating at caudal-fin base; ventralmost stripe originating on lips, extending across cheek and pectoral-fin base, and ending on ventral part of caudal peduncle. Dorsal part of head and body above ventralmost stripe red; body below ventral stripe gray or pink to white. Body with row of bluish or grayish white spots between middle and ventral stripes. Dorsal-fin elements and basal membranes reddish. Anal fin red. Caudal fin with red extending from body onto middle portion of fin.
The specimens described herein were collected at depths of 6-12 m from southern Taiwan. This species has been recorded in shallow waters of 1-20 m depth from the southern tip of Taiwan, Ryukyu Islands, Japan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Australia, Thailand, Indonesia, Timor Sea, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji, Kiribati, and Line Islands (Fricke 1997).
- Chiang, M; Chen, I; 2012: A new species of the genus Helcogramma (Blenniiformes, Tripterygiidae) from Taiwan ZooKeys, 216: 57-72. doi
- Hansen P (1986) Revision of the tripterygiid fish genus Helcogramma, including descriptions of four new species. Bulletin of Marine Sciences 38: 313-354.
- Shen S, Wu K (1994) A revision of the tripterygiid fishes from coastal waters of Taiwan with descriptions of two new genera and five new species. Acta Zoologica Taiwanica 5: 1-32.
- Fricke R (1997) Tripterygiid fishes of the western and central Pacific, with descriptions of 15 new species, including an annotated checklist of world Tripterygiidae (Teleostei). Theses Zoologicae 29: 1-607.
- Holleman W (2007) Fishes of the genus Helcogramma (Blennioidei: Tripterygiidae) in the Western Indian Ocean, Including Sri Lanka, with descriptions of four new species. Smithiana Bulletin 7: 51-81.