|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Enneapterygius inclinatus Fowler 1946: 190 (Type locality: Aguni shima, Riu Kiu Island).
- Helcogramma habena Williams and McCormick 1990: 1026 (Type locality: Philippines)
- Helcogramma habena: Shen and Wu 1994: 19.
- Helcogramma inclinatum: Fricke 1997: 446.
- Helcogramma inclinata: Williams and Howe 2003: 164.
Material Examined for Description
NTOU-P 2009-06-050, 1 specimen, 29.0 mm SL, Chenggong Township, Taitung County, Taiwan, 6 m depth, J. H. Huang, 12 June 2006; NTOU-P 2009-06-051, 2 specimens, 30.6 and 32.2 mm SL, Chenggong Township, Taitung County, Taiwan, 6-9 m depth, M. C. Chiang and I-S. Chen, 19 Aug 2006; NTOU-P 2009-06-052, 1 specimen, 37.5 mm SL, Ma-gang, Taipei County, Taiwan, 5-8 m depth, M. C. Chiang et al., 1 Sep 2006; NTOU-P 2009-06-053, 2 specimens, 33.4 and 36.3 mm SL, NW shore of Liouciou Township, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 5-12 m depth, M. C. Chiang et al., 8 July 2007; NTOU-P 2009-06-054, 2 specimens , 33.4 and 35.3 mm SL, Nan-ren-road Ferry, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 5-10 m depth, M. C. Chiang et al., 19 July 2007; NTOU-P 2009-06-055, 1 specimen, 34.2 mm SL, Feng-chui-sha, Hengchun Township, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 1-3 m depth, M. C. Chiang et al., 3 June 2008; NTOU-P 2009-06-056, 2 specimens, 30.2 and 34.3 mm SL, Xian-jiao-wan, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 9 m depth, M. C. Chiang and W. H. Li, 8 Sep 2008; NTOU-P 2009-06-057, 2 specimens, 29.0 and 30.9 mm SL, Wan-Li-Tong, Pingtung County, Taiwan, 6 m depth, M. C. Chiang and W. H. Li, 10 Sep 2008.
D III, XIV-XV (modally XV), 10-11. A I, 20-22 (usually 21-22). Lateral line with 25-32 pored scales. Dentary pore pattern 7-10+5-7+7-11 (modally 8+6+8). Supraorbital cirrus small and pointed. Nasal cirrus simple and slender. First dorsal-fin height almost equal to second dorsal-fin height. Nape scales present. Vertebrae 10+28-29. Head mottled red to reddish brown, a white or blue line extending from tip of the upper jaw to dorsal angle of the preopercle; males with dark brown or black mask on lower half of head and the the blusish white line beneath eye conspicuous. Body with 7-8 reddish brown to brown oblique single bars or Y-shaped markings; males with more densely scattered melanophores over body. Dorsal fin with alternating white and reddish brown bands on spines and rays, many tiny melanophores speckled on membrane especially near the basal and marginal parts of fins. Anal fin gray or yellowish brown to black. Caudal fin translucent with dusky area basally and distally on center of fin.
Helcogramma inclinata was regarded as a junior synonym of Helcogramma hudsoni (Jordan and Seale 1906) by Hansen (1986). However, it had been recognised as a valid species and a senior synonym of Helcogramma habena (Williams & McCormick, 1990) by Fricke (1997) and Williams and Howe (2003).
- Chiang, M; Chen, I; 2012: A new species of the genus Helcogramma (Blenniiformes, Tripterygiidae) from Taiwan ZooKeys, 216: 57-72. doi
- Fowler H (1946) A collection of fishes obtained in the Riu Kiu Islands by Captain Ernest R. Tinkham, A.U.S. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia 98: 123-218.
- Williams J, McCormick C (1990) Two new species of the triplefin genus Helcogramma (Tripterygiidae) from the western Pacific Ocean. Copeia 1990: 1020-1030. doi: 10.2307/1446485
- Shen S, Wu K (1994) A revision of the tripterygiid fishes from coastal waters of Taiwan with descriptions of two new genera and five new species. Acta Zoologica Taiwanica 5: 1-32.
- Fricke R (1997) Tripterygiid fishes of the western and central Pacific, with descriptions of 15 new species, including an annotated checklist of world Tripterygiidae (Teleostei). Theses Zoologicae 29: 1-607.
- Williams J, Howe J (2003) Seven species of the triplefin fish genus Helcogramma (Tripterygiidae) from the Indo-Pacific. Aqua, Journal of Ichthyology and Aquatic Biology 7 (4): 151-176.
- Jordan D, Seale A (1906) The Fishes of Samoa. Description of the species found in the archipelago, with a provisional check-list of the fishes of Oceania. Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries 25: 173-455.
- Hansen P (1986) Revision of the tripterygiid fish genus Helcogramma, including descriptions of four new species. Bulletin of Marine Sciences 38: 313-354.