|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Cynips quercusmedullae Ashmead, 1885 (females, galls). Andricus (Andricus) medullae Ashmead, 1885. Callirhytis quercusmedullae (Ashmead) (Burks 1979). Andricus cryptus Ashmead, 1887 (synonym in Dailey and Menke 1980).
One paratype female: ‘Jacksonville; collector Ashmead; Paratype No. 1497; Andricus medullae Ashm. (handwritten label)’.
Only the asexual generation is known. It induces stem swelling galls, in spring, on Quercus incana Bartram (= Quercus cinerea Raf.), Quercus marilandica (L.) Münchn. and Quercus myrtifolia in the USA (Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Missisipi, Texas) (Burks 1979). The adults emerge the following year in February and March (Ashmead 1885a, b; Weld 1959).
The female, like the previous species, has the notauli incomplete, extending to half of the mesoscutum length, with darker lines that resemble notauli reaching the anterior margin of the mesoscutum. The median mesoscutal line is absent. The prominent part of the ventral spine of the hypopygium is 6.2 times as long as broad ventrally. See also the key to Zapatella species.
- Pujade-Villar, J; Hanson, P; Medina, C; Torres, M; Melika, G; 2012: A new genus of oak gallwasps, Zapatella Pujade-Villar & Melika, gen. n., with a description of two new species from the Neotropics (Hymenoptera, Cynipidae, Cynipini) ZooKeys, 210: 75-104. doi
- Burks B (1979) Superfamily Cynipoidea. In: Krombein K Hurd P Smith D Burks B (Eds). Catalog of Hymenoptera in America North of Mexico. Vol. 1. Symphyta and Apocrita. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC: 1045-1107.
- Dailey D, Menke A (1980) Nomenclatorial notes on North American Cynipidae (Hymenoptera). The Pan-Pacific Entomologist 56 (3): 170-174.
- Ashmead W (1885a) On the cynipidous galls of Florida with descriptions of new species. Transactions of the American Entomological Society 12: 5-9.
- Ashmead W (1885b) Studies in North American Chalcididae, with descriptions of new species from Florida. Transactions of the American Entomological Society 12: 11-19.
- Weld L (1959) Cynipid galls of the Eastern United States. Ann Arbor, Michigan, privately printed, 124 pp.