|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Tessmannella Hedicke, 1912: 303. Type species: Tessmannella spinosa Hedicke, by original designation.
Female antenna 13-segmented, subclavate; male 14-segmented. Face with reticulate to rugose sculpture and scattered pubescence. Pronotum coarsely rugose with median tooth or spine viewed laterally. Mesonotum with coarse variable sculpture, propodeum without pronounced side margins. Petiole three times as long as broad, terga 2–4 short (viewed laterally and dorsally), terga 5 largest. Metafemora with a rounded lobe between medial area and apex, tooth on metafemur angled, hind tibia with a distinct lobe apically, opposite the tibial spines. Scutellum with three foveae.
Central African Republic; Congo; Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire); Equatorial Guinea; Gabon; Kenya.
Only four species were previously known in this genus, two described by Hedicke (1912), one by Benoit (1955), and one by Quinlan (1979). Tessmannella transiens Benoit (1955) was transferred to Oberthuerella by Ronquist (1995) leaving three species in the genus. Here we describe three new species, elevating the total to six.
Tessmannella copelandi Buffington & van Noort, sp. n.
Tessmannella expansa Quinlan, 1979: 116
Tessmannella kiplingi Buffington & van Noort, sp. n.
Tessmannella nigra Hedicke, 1912: 304
Tessmannella roberti Buffington & van Noort, sp. n.
Tessmannella spinosa Hedicke, 1912: 303
Key to species of Tessmannella (both sexes)
(Available online at http://www.waspweb.org/Cynipoidea/Keys/index.htm)
- Buffington, M; Noort, S; 2012: Revision of the Afrotropical Oberthuerellinae (Cynipoidea, Liopteridae) ZooKeys, 202: 1-154. doi
- Hedicke H (1912) Beiträge zur Kenntnis der Cynipiden. I. Eine neue Gattung aus der Unterfamilia der Obertürellinae. Entomologische Zeitschift 1912: 303-304.
- Benoit P (1955) Les Liopteridae Oberthurellinae du Congo Belge. Revue de Zoologie et de Botanique Africaines 52: 283-293.
- Quinlan J (1979) A revisionary classification of the Cynipoidea (Hymenoptera) of the Ethiopean zoologeographical region. Bulletin of the British Museum of Natural History 39: 85-133.
- Ronquist F (1995) Phylogeny and classification of the Liopteridae, an archaic group of cynipoid wasps (Hymenoptera). Entomologica Scandinavica Supplement 46: 1-74.