Pileus shape, top view
Shape when looking from side of the pileus.
- orbicular (round, ovate): round shaped.
- flabelliform: fan-shaped.
- petaloid: shaped like the petal of a flower, narrowed at the attachment. of the sporocarp and expanded outward.
- spatulate (spathulate): shaped like a spatula or spoon, narrowed the point of attachment but expanded at the top or tip and with a round apex.
- dimidiate: semicircular (half round) in outline with one half very much smaller than the other; shell like.
- semicircular: half round with broad attachment (sessile).
- elongated: long and thin shape with broad attachment (sessile).
Figures 1- 5 ; Largend DL. 1986. How to identify mushroom to genus. Mad river press, Eurecka.
Figures 6 and 7; Ryvarden L and Gilbertson RL. 1989. European Polypores. Part 1. Fungiflora, Oslo.