|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Microcriodes sikkimensis Breuning, 1943: 15. Type locality: Sikkim. Type depository: NHML.
- Microcriodes sikkimensis; Gilmour and Dibb 1948: 100; Gilmour 1963: 483, pl. 2, figs 4–5; Rigout 1982: 10, pl. 14; Weigel 2012: 408, pl. 28, fig. h.
Type material examined
Holotype, female (sex not mentioned in its original description and misidentified as male by Gilmour 1963), “Sikkim” [white label printed]; “Microcriodes / sikkimensis / mihi Type” (handwritten) / “det. Breuning” (printed) [white label]; “Type” [white label with red circle printed] examined through four pictures taken by Yi-Kai Zhang in NHML.
Additional materials examined
(21 specimens, 14 males and 7 females): China: Xizang (Tibet) Autonomous Region: 4 males, 2 females, Xizang, Motuo County (=Mêdog County), Hanmi, 2100m, 2011.VII.23-31, leg. Wen-Xuan Bi (CBWX); 1 male, same date but 2011.VII.29 (CBWX); 1 female, same date but 2011.VIII.2 (CBWX); 1 female, same date but 2011.VII.23–26, leg. Ye Liu (IZAS); 1 male, same date but 2011.VII.23, leg. Ye Liu (IZAS); 1 male, same date but 2013.VII.18 (CBWX); 1 male, same date but 2013.VII.22 (CBWX); 2 males, same date but 2013.VII.29 (CBWX); 2 males, same date but 2013.VII.30 (CBWX); 1 female, same date but 2,128 m, 2013.VII.13, leg. Xiao-Dong Yang (CCCC); 1 male, same date but 1,989 m, 2013.VII.26, leg. Xiao-Dong Yang (CCCC); 1 female, same date but 2,128 m, 2013.VII.30, leg. Xiao-Dong Yang (CCCC); 1 male, Xizang, Motuo County, 80 K, 2,100 m, 2012.VII.23, leg. Xiao-Dong Yang (CCCC); 1 female, Xiang, Motuo County, 62 K, 2,780 m, 2013.VIII.13, leg. Chao Wu (CBWX).
Male (Fig. 1): Length: 21.0–28.0 mm, humeral width: 6.0–9.0 mm. Female (Fig. 2): Length: 30.0–34.0 mm, humeral width: 9.0–10.5 mm. The elytral maculae of this species is variable but generally as follows: besides some scattered small, round, yellow spots, each elytron provided with three main, bright yellow, well-defined, longitudinal but somewhat irregularly shaped maculae on basal one third, a little behind middle and near apex (Fig. 3); the middle macula commonly fused with the hind one as the holotype, but sometimes attach to the front one (Fig. 4). Antenna with 3rd antennomere twice as long as scape, slightly shorter than 4th in male while slightly longer than 4th in female; relative length of antennomeres as follows: male: 5.5 : 1.0 : 11.8 : 12.1 : 11.4 : 10.3 : 10.1 : 9.1 : 8.7 : 8.4 : 11.9; female: 4.7 : 1.0 : 9.9 : 9.4 : 8.0 : 7.1 : 6.4 : 5.7 : 5.6 : 5.3 : 7.1. Pronotum broader than long, 0.8 times as long as basal width, the width across lateral spines about 1.3 times of basal width; lateral spine long, thickened at base with acute apex; disk smooth, with several fine setigerous granules behind middle. Elytra ca. 1.8 times as wide as pronotal base, 2.7 times as long as humeral width, with some very fine granules at base. Male genitalia (Figs 7–10). Tegmen (Fig. 7) in lateral view strongly curved near base, ca. 3.5 mm in length, rhombic in shape and widest behind middle in ventral view; lateral lobes ca. two-ninths of total length of tegmen, provided with long setae on apical half. Median lobe (Fig. 8) slightly shorter than tegmen; moderately curved in lateral view; apex rounded subacuminate in antero-dorsal view. Tergite VIII (Fig. 9) nearly as broad as long, apex distinctly emarginate, with moderately long setae. Endophallus in non-everted condition (Fig. 10) long, about 3 times as long as median lobe, with 3 membranous parts, BPH, MPH and APH; BMP short, about one quarter of the length of median lobe; MPH long, about 2.7 times as long as median lobe, strongly curved at basal two-thirds, with MT and CT fused each other, of which delimited from PB by a distinct constriction; MT+CT sparsely provided with small spicules which become denser near swollen apex; PB provided with same kind of spicules as MT+CT, which become denser at apical half, basal part of PB rather narrow, only 0.35 times as wide as anterior part; APH short, cylindrical in shape. Ejaculatory ducts double.
- Bi, W; Lin, M; 2014: Notes on the genus Microcriodes Breuning, with description of a new species from Xizang, China (Coleoptera, Cerambycidae, Lamiinae, Batocerini) ZooKeys, 412: 1-8. doi
- Gilmour E, Dibb J (1948) Revision of the Batocerini (Col., Cerambycidae, Lamiinae). Spolia Zeylanica 25: 1–121, 10 pls.
- Gilmour E (1963) Revision of the Batocerini. Genera Doesburgia, Aprionella, Microcriodes, Pseudapriona, Parapriona and Anapriona (Coleoptera, Cerambycidae, Lamiinae). Entomologische Abhandlungen 29(7): 475–485.
- Rigout J (1982) Batocerini 2. Les Coléoptères du Monde 2. Sciences Nat, Compiègne, 128 pp.
- Weigel A (2012) Beitrag zur Bockkäferfauna von Arunachal Pradesh (Indien) mit Beschreibung einer neuen Art aus der Gattung Acalolepta Pascoe, 1858 (Insecta: Coleoptera: Cerambycidae). Biodiversität und Naturausstattung im Himalaya, Naturkunde Museum Erfurt 4: 405–411 + Tab. XXV-XXXIII.
- Breuning S (1943) Novae species Cerambycidarum. XII. Folia Zoologica et Hydrobiologica 12: 12–66.