|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Metaphycus tamakatakaigara Jiang 1982: 7: 182; Jiang 1986: (3):14. Misidentified.
- Metaphycus ericeri Xu & Jiang 1990: 203. Holotype +, China, ZJU & SCU; Jiao and Zhao 1999: 166-171.
- Metaphycus xujiangi Ozdikmen, 2011: 802. Replacement name for Metaphycus ericeri Xu & Jiang nec Trjapitzin (1967).
Body length, including ovipositor about 1.1mm. Frontovertex orange to dark orange; orange in ocellar area, orange between occipital margin and posterior ocelli; immaculate from occiput to base of mandible; rest of head, except occiput, yellow-white; antenna (Fig. 77) with radicle yellow; scape with both faces blackish, only extreme apex and extreme distal yellow, dorsal margin black; pedicel dark brown in proximal half and apex white; F1–F4 brown, F5–F6 white, clava dark brown, becoming paler towards apex, apex white; occiput with dark brown area above occipital foramen, rest white; neck of pronotum dark brown, posterior margin translucent white, lateral spots relatively small and undistinct, rest white; dorsum of thorax orange; sides and posterior margin of mesoscutum and axillae bordered brown; setae translucent yellow, silvery in most lights; tegula white; metanotum pale brown; mesopleuron yellow; prosternum and mesosternum pale yellow; legs (Figs 80–82) mainly pale yellow; fore wing (Fig. 79) hyaline, and with linea calva interrupted, venation dark yellow; hind wing hyaline; propodeum medially dark orange; gaster dorsally pale brown, becoming paler towards apex, side and venter white; ovipositor sheath yellow.
Ocelli forming an angle of about 50°; eye not quite reaching occipital margin, separated by much less than diameter of one facet; frontovertex subparallel-sided, becoming slightly broader anteriorly from the narrowest point which is slightly in front of posterior ocelli; scrobes shallow and U-shaped; antenna with scape about 2–2.5? as long as broad; funicle with F1–F4 smallest, subequal, F4 transverse, F5 a little larger but transverse, F6 largest; clava 3-segmented, its apex more or less rounded and with a short slightly oblique truncation; mandible relatively broad with three subequal, apical teeth; palpal formula 2-2 (Fig. 78), notaular lines reaching about 0.6? across mesoscutum; fore wing venation and setation as in Fig. 79; ovipositor (Fig. 83) hardly exserted, length about 5.4? as long as ovipositor sheath.
Relative measurements: HW 15.5, FV 3, FVL 7,POL 2, AOL 3, OOL 1, OCL 1, POD 2, AOD 2, EL 9, EW 6, MS 4, SL 7, SW 3, FWL 45, FWW 21, HWL 30, HWW 6, OL 11, GL 2, MT 15.
(length 0.8–1.33mm). Thorax black-brown, ocellar area black-brown, antenna yellow-brown, clava solid and as long as F3 to F6. Digitus of genitalia apically with two hooks; aedeagus robust, length about 3? as long as broad. (Xu and Jiang 1990).
China (Hunan, Sichuan, Yunnan).
China: 9++, Sichuan, E’mei Mt., 1963.X, Coll. D. X Liao (IZCAS).
Antenna with radicle yellow; scape with both faces blackish, only extreme apex and extreme distal yellow, dorsal margin black, scape about 2–2.5? as long as broad; ovipositor hardly exserted, length about 5.4? as long as ovipositor sheath. Jiang (1982) misidentified this species as Metaphycus tamakatakaigara, and Xu and Jiang 1990 described it as a new species.Metaphycus'xujiangi is very similar to Metaphycus ericeri. It can be separated from Metaphycus ericeri as follows: head is about 5? as broad as frontovertex, POD=POL and the ovipositor about 0.7? as long as mid tibia (in Metaphycus ericeri, the head is about 3.5? as broad as frontovertex, 2POD=POL and the ovipositor about 0.6? as long as mid tibia).
- Wang, Y; Li, C; Zhang, Y; 2013: A taxonomic study of Chinese species of the alberti group of Metaphycus (Hymenoptera, Encyrtidae) ZooKeys, 285: 53-88. doi
- Jiang D (1982) Notes on the encyrtid parasites (Hymenoptera, Chalcidoidea) from the Chinese wax scales Ericerus pela Chav. (Homoptera, Coccidea), with description of a new species. Acta Zootaxonomica Sinica 7 (2): 179-186.
- Jiao Y, Zhao P (1999) Bionomics of Metaphycus ericeri Xu et Jiang (Hymenoptera: Encyrtidae). Acta Entomologica Sinica 42 (2): 166-171.
- Trjapitzin V (1967) Encyrtids (Hymenoptera, Encyrtidae) of the Maritime Territory. Trudy Zoologicheskogo Instituta (Akademiya Nauk SSSR) 41: 173-221.
- Xu Z, Jiang D (1990) Description of a new species Metaphycus ericeri (Hymenoptera: Encyrtidae) from China. Acta Agriculturae Universitatis Zhejiangensis 17 (2): 203-204.