Acrotrichis (New Zealand)
Acrotrichis Motschulsky, 1848
Present in the wild. Possibly indigenous. Otherwise exotic.
[A=Exotic, present in the wild; E=Endemic, present in the wild]
I can confirm the presence of the following 4 species:
- Acrotrichis inconspicua (Matthews, 1874) A?
- Acrotrichis insularis (Mäklin, 1852) A
- Acrotrichis josephi (Matthews, 1872) A
- Acrotrichis sp. ST1 E?
An additional three species have been reported in the literature, but their presence in N.Z. stands in need of confirmation:
- Acrotrichis fascicularis (Herbst, 1793) A [very old record only, with no definite locality]
- Acrotrichis grandicollis (Mannerheim, 1844) A [probably recorded in error by Sörensson (2011: 320), no definite records given]
- Acrotrichis montandoni (Allibert, 1844) A [single specimen record]
The following two nominal species have been reported from N.Z. (as valid species), but are now placed in synonymy:
- Acrotrichis subantarctica Gressitt & Samuelson, 1964 [=Acrotrichis insularis (Mäklin, 1852)]
- Acrotrichis subcognata Johnson, 1975 [=Acrotrichis josephi (Matthews, 1872)]
- Sörensson, M. 2011: The Ptiliidae of Sardinia – new records, distribution and zoogeography, with a checklist of Italian species (Coleoptera). In: Nardi, G. et al. (eds.), Biodiversity of Marganai and Montimannu (Sardinia). Research in the framework of the ICP Forests network. Conservazione habitat invertebrati, 5: 313-329. Full article (PDF)