Sericospilus n. sp. "Waitakere"
Genus: Sericospilus Wikispecies link
- Sericospilus n.sp. "Waitakere"
- this undescribed species is perhaps most similar to S. obscurus
- the Waitakere Ranges (Auckland, New Zealand) probably have only two species of Sericospilus, S. costellus and this undescribed species
- although the undescribed species from the Waitakere Ranges has been reported to be restricted to this single locality (e.g. see p. 3 here and p. 24 here), I have seen probable conspecifics from Waiwera, and also from three sites (Limestone Downs, Onewhero, Te Akau) in the northern Waikato region (see fig. 1)
- the (few) Waiwera specimens are distinctly mottled, but otherwise appear identical
- specimens of the unrelated S. watti from Great Barrier Island also appear to be sometimes mottled, but sometimes not
Stephen Thorpe 03:19, 14 March 2011 (CET)