|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Psammoecus sp. 1: Hirano 2009: 63, 66, 82, fig. 6. – Hirano 2010: 12, 15.
- Psammoecus sp. 2: Hirano 2009: 63, 66, 82, fig. 7. – Hirano 2010: 12, 15.
- Psammoecus hiranoi Yoshida and Hirowatari 2013: 86–90.
Yoshida and Hirowatari (2013) described this species from the Nansei Islands, Japan including Nakanoshima (Tokara Islands), Amami-Ôshima, Tokunoshima, Okinawa, Ishigaki and the Iriomote Islands. It is closely similar to Psammoecus fasciatus, and these two species occur allopatrically across the Watase Line, which is one of the biogeographic borders proposed between the Palaearctic and Oriental regions passing through the Tokara Straits (Yoshida and Hirowatari 2013).
Yoshida and Hirowatari (2013) described this species and regarded the undetermined species, Psammoecus sp. 2 of Hirano (2009) and Hirano (2010), as conspecific. In addition, in the present study, Psammoecus sp. 1 illustrated by Hirano (2009) and Hirano (2010), which was represented by only one female, is also found to be conspecific with this species. We had the opportunity to examine some specimens possessing features of Psammoecus sp. 1 (Fig. 2E) and were able to conclude that morphological characters including the male genital structure of these specimens belonged to the range of morphological variation of Psammoecus hiranoi.
The following specimens were found after description of this species:
JAPAN: [Okinawa Pref.] 1 male & 4 exs., Mt. Yonaha-dake, Kunigami Village, Okinawa Island, 3–IV–1974, T. Kinoshita leg. (EUMJ); 10 exs., Ôkuni-rindô, Kuigami Village, Okinawa Island, 4–XI–2013, T. Yoshida leg. (ELKU).
- Yoshida, T; Hirowatari, T; 2014: A revision of Japanese species of the genus Psammoecus Latreille (Coleoptera, Silvanidae) ZooKeys, 403: 15-45. doi
- Hirano Y (2009) Notes on Japanese Silvanidae (Nihonsan hosohiratamushi-ka ni tsuite). Kanagawa-chûhô 168: 57-83. [In Japanese]
- Hirano Y (2010) Cucujoidea of Japan Vol.2 Silvanidae, Byturidae, Biphyllidae. Roppon-Ashi Entomological Books, Tokyo, 61 pp. [In Japanese, with English title]
- Yoshida T, Hirowatari T (2013) A New Species of the Genus Psammoecus (Coleoptera, Silvanidae) from the Nansei Islands, Japan. Japanese Journal of Systematic Entomology 19: 85-90.