|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
New Brunswick, Albert Co., Caledonia Gorge P.N.A., (Protected Natural Area) 45.8257°N, 64.7791°W, 6.VII.2011, R. P. Webster, old hardwood forest (sugar maple and beech), on Polyporus varius (1, RWC). Carleton Co., Meduxnekeag River Valley Nature Preserve, 46.1907°N, 67.6740°W, 23.VI.2006, R. P. Webster, mixed forest, in gilled mushroom (1 ♀, RWC); Meduxnekeag River Valley Nature Preserve, 46.1897°N, 67.6710°W, 25.VI.2007, R. P. Webster, mixed forest, in gilled mushroom (1 ♂, RWC); Meduxnekeag River Valley Nature Preserve, 46.1898°N, 67.6766°W, 2.VI.2008, R. P. Webster, mixed forest, in small brown gilled mushrooms on side of rotten log (3 ♂, RWC). York Co., Charters Settlement, 45.8286°N, 66.7365°W, 11.VII.2006, 2.VI.2007, R. P. Webster, mature mixed forest, in gilled mushrooms (2 ♂, 1 ♀, RWC).
Collection and habitat data
Oxyporus quinquemaculatus has a relatively narrow range of hosts (five genera in three families), with most records from the genus Pluteus (Hanley and Goodrich 1995b). This species was also reported from Laccaria amethystina Murr., Psilocybe spadicea Fries, and Naematoloma sublateritium Karst. by Weiss and West (1920, 1921). In New Brunswick, this species was collected from gilled mushrooms (species not determined) and from Polyporus varius Fr. in mixed forests during June and July.
Distribution in Canada and Alaska
ON, QC, NB, NS (Campbell 1969).
- Webster, R; DeMerchant, I; 2012: New Staphylinidae (Coleoptera) records with new collection data from New Brunswick, Canada: Oxyporinae ZooKeys, 186: 263-271. doi
- Hanley R, Goodrich M (1995b) Review of mycophagy, host relationships and behavior in the New World Oxyporinae (Coleoptera: Staphylinidae). The Coleopterists Bulletin 49: 267-280.
- Weiss H, West E (1920) Fungus insects and their hosts. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 33: 1-20.
- Weiss H, West E (1921) Additional notes on fungous insects. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 34: 167-172.
- Campbell J (1969) A revision of the New World Oxyporinae (Coleoptera: Staphylinidae). The Canadian Entomologist 101: 225-268. doi: 10.4039/Ent101225-3