|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Orthomorpha murphyi Hoffman 1973: 636 (D).
- Orthomorpha murphyi – Hoffman 1977: 700 (M, D); Golovatch 1998: 42 (M, D).
♂(NHML), Singapore, Mile 8, Old Upper Thomson Road, 30.12.1962, leg. Kok Oi Yee.
1 ♂, 5 ♀ (CUMZ), Singapore, Central Region, Nature Reserve, Bukit Timah, 1°35'18"N, 104°18'0"E, 25.12.2009, leg. C. Sutcharit.
Length 34–35 (♂) or 3.3–3.6 mm (♀), width of midbody pro- and metazona 2.5–2.6 and 3.9–4.4 mm (♂), 3.4–3.6, and 4.8–4.9 mm (♀), respectively.
Coloration of live animals (Fig. 58A) uniformly blackish brown with only slightly lighter paraterga, venter and legs; coloration of alcohol material upon long-term preservation faded to a light brown (holotype) with contrasting pallid paraterga, venter, legs and antennae (Fig. 57); coloration of rather freshly alcohol-preserved material blackish brown with likewise strongly faded paraterga, venter and legs (Fig. 58B-H).
The original description of this species was so complete and detailed (Hoffman 1973) that no redescription seems to be necessary. Instead, we only provide new illustrations (Figs 59–61) showing the coloration, structural details, and gonopod conformation of Orthomorpha murphyi, based both on the holotype and new samples.
- Likhitrakarn, N; Golovatch, S; Panha, S; 2011: Revision of the Southeast Asian millipede genus Orthomorpha Bollman, 1893, with the proposal of a new genus (Diplopoda, Polydesmida, Paradoxosomatidae) ZooKeys, 131: 1-161. doi
- Hoffman R (1973) Descriptions and allocation of new or poorly known genera and species of Paradoxosomatidae from south-eastern Asia (Diplopoda: Polydesmida). Journal of Natural History 7: 361-389. doi: 10.1080/00222937300770281
- Hoffman R (1977) Diplopoda from Malayan caves, collected by M. Pierre Strinati. Revue suisse de Zoologie 84 (3): 699-719.
- Golovatch S (1998) On several new or poorly-known Oriental Paradoxosomatidae (Diplopoda Polydesmida), VI. Arthropoda Selecta 6(3–4): 35–46. [for 1997]