|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Vernonia amblyolepis Baker, Bull. Misc. Inf. Kew 1898: 146 (1898). Type: Malawi, Nyika Plateau, Whyte 204 (Lechtotype designated here, K, scanned image at US!), Mpata to Nyasa-Tanganyika Plateau, Whyte s.n. (isolectotype, K, scanned image at US!). The two specimens at K are labeled as syntypes. The Whyte 204 was selected as the lectotype because it is numbered.
- Vernonia pratensis Hiern, Cat. Afr. Pl. Welw. 1: 523 (1898) homonym illeg., non Klatt 1892 nec Drake 1897. Type: Angola, Welwitsch 3364 (isotype K).
- Vernonia kandtii Muschl., Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 46: 87 (1911). Type: Rwanda, Niansa, Kandt 69 (holotype B, destroyed, isotype EA).
- Vernonia exasperata H. Wild, Kirkia 11: 12 (1978), nom. nov. for Vernonia pratensis Hiern.
The species is known from Angola, Malawi, Rwanda and Tanzania.
Malawi. Zomba District: Zomba Plateau, top of hillside above KuChawe Inn, on grassy slope, 15°20'S, 35°18'E, 5500 ft., 14 Apr 1984, Christenson 1461 (US). Zomba District: Zomba Plateau, on upper road from KuChawe Inn downward to Zomba, near horse paddock, 15°20'S, 35°18'E, 5000 ft., 25 Apr 1984, Christenson and Lipende 1488(US). Uganda. Buhweju County: District West Ankole, Nyarwambu River, 0°22'S, 30°28'E, 1550 m, 23 Aug 1982, Rwaburindora 919(MO, US).
Jeffrey (1988) treated Vernonia kandtii as a separate species that included Veronia pratensis Hiern and V. exasperata H. Wild in its synonymy. Vernonia kandtii is separated by Jeffrey (1988), with some doubt, by his couplet 106 as follows:
The specimens from Malawi and Uganda that were examined for this study show variation in the structure of the inflorescence and therefore, do not support a separate species status for Vernonia kandtii.
- Robinson, H; Funk, V; 2011: A new genus, Nothovernonia, from tropical Africa (Asteraceae or Compositae, Vernonieae) PhytoKeys, 3: 21-34. doi
- Jeffrey C (1988) The Vernonieae in east tropical Africa,Notes on Compositae: V. Kew Bulletin 43:195-277.