|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
- Metaphycus angustifrons Compere, 1957: 227–229. Holotype ♀ (USNM) U. S. A. Taiwan. examined part (BMNH).
- Metaphycus angustifrons Compere; Tachikawa 1963: 185, 186, 189, 190; Trjapitzin 1975: 9; Trjapitzin 1989: 236.
Body length including ovipositor about 1 mm; frontovertex orange, lower face and gena concolorous, paler yellow; antenna (Fig. 8) with radicle pale brown; scape mostly brown with similar coloration on inner and outer surfaces, apex and base white, dorsal margin white; pedicel yellowish white in apical two-fifths, remainder dark brown; F1–F4 brown, F5 marked with brown externally, F6 white; clava dark brown, apical half paler yellow-brown, more or less yellow apically; occiput dark brown dorsally; neck of pronotum blackish, rest of pronotum pale orange, lateral spots present and faint; mesoscutum and scutellum dusky orange, more or less blackish on it, darker than frontovertex; metanotum largely dark brown; legs (Figs 11–13) including coxae pale orange except for faint dots at base of middle tibia; wing hyaline (Fig. 10), venation pale brown; middle of propodeum dark brown, sides orange; gaster dorsally brown. Head about 5× as wide as frontovertex; head with fine, reticulate sculpture on frontovertex; ocelli forming an acute angle; frontovertex narrowest slightly in front of posterior ocelli; antenna (Fig. 8) with scape about 2.4× as long as broad; F1–F4 relatively small, subequal in size, F5 larger than F4, F6 largest and widest, F5 and F6 with linear sensilla; apex of clava more or less rounded, hardly with transverse truncation; mandible relatively broad with three, apical teeth; palpal formula 3-3 (Fig. 9); fore wing with venation and setation as in Fig. 10; gaster with ovipositor (Fig. 14) slightly exserted, exserted part about 0.3× as long as mid tibial spur; ovipositor about 5× as long as gonostylus.
Relative measurements: HW 16, FV 3, FVL 8, POL 0.5, AOL 2, OOL 0.5, OCL 0.5, POD 1, AOD 1, SL 6, SW 3, FWL 36, FWW 15, OL 14, GL 3, MT 13.
Scape expanded, and about 2.5× as long as wide; funicle blackish or brown; clava similar to the funicle except for dilute yellowish apically (Compere 1957).
China (Fujian, Hainan, Hong Kong) (Fig. 84), Bermuda, Japan, USA (Noyes 2002).
China: 1 ♀, Fujian, Youxi, 12.V.1965; 1 ♀, Hainan, 11.VIII.2009, Coll. G. Zheng; USA: 1 ♀, Florida, 12.V.1992, Coll. Patrick Gr.; 2 ♀♀, Ins. C.E.S., 29.III.1954, Coll. Bartlett (BMNH).
Scape with both faces brown, only base and apex white, dorsal margin white; F5 marked with brown externally (Fig. 8); gena pale yellow; mid tibia with faint brown spot subbasally (Fig. 12); head about 5× as wide as frontovertex; scape about 2.4× as long as broad; ovipositor (Fig. 14) slightly exserted, about 5× as long as gonostylus.
- Wang, Y; Li, C; Zhang, Y; 2014: A taxonomic study of Chinese species of the insidiosus group of Metaphycus (Hymenoptera, Encyrtidae) ZooKeys, 378: 49-81. doi
- Tachikawa T (1963) Revisional studies of the Encyrtidae of Japan (Hymenoptera, Chalcidoidea). Memoirs of Ehime University 6(9): 1-264.
- Trjapitzin V (1975) Contribution to the knowledge of parasitic Hymenoptera of the genus Metaphycus Mercet, 1917 (Hymenoptera, Chalcidoidea, Encyrtidae) of the Czechoslovakian fauna. Studia Entomologica Forestalia 2(1): 5-17.
- Trjapitzin V (1989) Parasitic Hymenoptera of the fam. Encyrtidae of Palaearctics. Opredeliteli po Faune SSSR. Zoologicheskii Institut Akademii Nauk SSR, Leningrad 158: 1-489.
- Compere H (1957) Descriptions of species of Metaphycus recently introduced into California and some corrections. Bollettino del Laboratorio di Entomologia Agraria ‘Filippo Silvestri’, Portici 15: 221-230.
- Noyes J (2002) Interactive catalogue of World Chalcidoidea, second edition. CDrom, Taxapad, Vancouver and The Natural History Museum, London.