|Notice:||This page is derived from the original publication listed below, whose author(s) should always be credited. Further contributors may edit and improve the content of this page and, consequently, need to be credited as well (see
). Any assessment of factual correctness requires a careful review of the original article as well as of subsequent contributions.
If you are uncertain whether your planned contribution is correct or not, we suggest that you use the associated discussion page instead of editing the page directly.
This page should be cited as follows (rationale):
Citation formats to copy and paste
TY - JOUR
See also the citation download page at the journal.
New Brunswick, Carleton Co., Jackson Falls, 46.2257°N, 67.7420°W, 22.V.2010, R. P. Webster, river margin, in gravel on gravel bar (1, RWC). York Co., Fredericton at Saint John River, 45.9588°N, 66.6254°W, 7.VI.2005, R. P. Webster, margin of river, in flood debris (1 ♀, RWC); Keswick River at Rt. 105, 45.9938°N, 66.8344°W, 3.VI.2008, R. P. Webster, upper river margin, in flood debris on sand clay mix (1 ♂, RWC).
Collection and habitat data
Anotylus insecatusis probably a predator of Diptera larvae in bulbs of onions, tulips, and radishes (Campbell and Tomlin 1983; Majka and Klimaszewski 2008b). This adventive species has also been found at sap flows and in decaying plant debris (Campbell and Tomlin 1983) but may also be saprophagous or a scavenger (Hammond 1976). The New Brunswick specimens were found along river margins in flood debris or in gravel. Adults were captured during May and June.
Distribution in Canada and Alaska
AB, SK, MB, ON, QC, NB, NS (Campbell and Davies 1991; Majka and Klimaszewski 2008b). Distribution is based on Campbell and Davies (1991), Majka and Klimaszewski (2008b) and specimens from AB, SK, and MB in the CNC (Anthony Davies, personal communication).
- Webster, R; Sweeney, J; DeMerchant, I; 2012: New Staphylinidae (Coleoptera) records with new collection data from New Brunswick, Canada: Scaphidiinae, Piestinae, Osorinae, and Oxytelinae ZooKeys, 186: 239-262. doi
- Campbell J, Tomlin D (1983) The first record of the Palaearctic species Anotylus insecatus (Gravenhorst) (Coleoptera: Staphylinidae) from North America. The Coleopterists Bulletin 37 (4): 309-313.
- Majka C, Klimaszewski J (2008b) Adventive Staphylinidae (Coleoptera) of the Maritime provinces of Canada: further contributions. ZooKeys 2: 151-174. doi: 10.3897/zookeys.2.5
- Hammond P (1976) A review of the genus Anotylus C. G. Thomson (Coleoptera: Staphylinidae). Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History) Entomology 33 (2): 141-187.
- Campbell J, Davies A (1991) Family Staphylinidae: rove beetles beetles. In: Bousquet Y (Ed). Checklist of Beetles of Canada and Alaska. Agriculture Canada, Research Branch, Ottawa, Ontario, Publication 1861/E: 86-124.